View available dates / Register on this course
Engineers tend to focus on their own discipline. They tend to be trained to understand the product that will result from project. However, they are often totally unprepared for the complexity and frustration involved in the process of delivering that product. This is what project management is about. Their unpreparedness often puts them and their companies at a disadvantage when working with outside contractors. This training course covers all the essential elements of the modern management of projects and will prepare project professionals for the difficult task they face. The course is designed for project managers and potential project managers, particularly those from a technical background and for project support staff. It will be of particular value to those wanting to get to grips with the use of information technology for project support.
Topics will include
– What is management?
– What is different about project management?
– Principles of project management.
– Key elements of project.
– Phases and life cycles of projects.
– Types of projects.
– History of project management.
– Modern project management.
– Types of reserves.
Organizing Your Project
– Types of organization.
– Types of team. – Organizing the team.
– Organizing the information.
– Network versus work breakdown structure (WBS).
– Terms of reference/Scope of work.
– Designing, coding and using a WBS.
The Proposal and Budgeting Process
– The process and its dangers.
– Avoiding the Pitfalls getting commitment.
– Methods of Estimating.
– Whole life costing.
– Scheduling at the proposal stage.
– Risk Analysis. – Presentation.
– Budgets, Baselines, and Targets.
– The Negotiation Phases.
Computerized Support for Project Managements
– Using Word Processing.
– Using Spreadsheet Packages.
– Using Database Packages.
– What is a Project Management Support System(PMS0).
– The Current problems and limitation of its systems.
The Project Manager
– The job and the man for each type of project.
– Getting the authority to do the job.
– Selecting the team.
– Briefing and training the team.
– Implementing effective procedures in a project environment.
– Team building and Leadership.
The Detailed Planning Stage
– Handling Projects created during proposal.
– Work Package Definition.
– Networks , Their value and construction.
– Simple time Analysis.
– Critical Path Method.
– Resource Analysis.
– Milestones and interface Management.
– CTR Systems Design
Project Management and Control
– Managing The Project team.
– The Planning and Control Cycle.
– Progress Data Collection.
– C/SCSC Systems.
– Reporting to Management.
– Managing the client.
– Interface Control.
– Conflict resolution.
– Configuration Management and Quality Control .
– The Final Report-a project history.
The Future of Project Management
– Currently available PMSSs.
– Choosing and Implementing a system.
– The future of Project Management.