This seminar is designed for engineers, supervisors and those involved with rotating equipment. Problems with pumps, troubleshooting, and failure of components can cause expensive down – time. This thirteen day seminar covers how to troubleshoot, anticipate problems, common causes of problems, and principles of pumps and drives.
Topics will include
Centrifugal Pump Fundamentals
– Pump design and construction.
– Function of component parts.
– Single and split volutes/diffusers.
– Single suction and double impeders.
– Multi stage machines.
– Causes of radial and axial forces.
– Radial and axial flow and mixed flow designs.
– Power losses and efficiency.
– The affinity laws.
– Effect of speed change on pump performance.
– Specific Speed concept and applications
– Typical system configurations.
– Effect of static head and pipeline friction.
– Control by speed , delivery valve and by- pass.
Cavitations & suction behavior
– Suction condition and priming.
– Causes of cavitations /gas locking and its avoidance.
Bearing & lubrication
– Rolling element bearing and plain bearings.
– Thrust bearing design.
– Grease and oil lubrications.
Exercises & Review of First Week
Hydrocarbon Process Industry Pump:
– Discussion on the wide variety of pumps found in hydrocarbon processing industry.
– Wet rotor types.
– Magnetically coupled types.
– Performance and efficiency.
– Advantages, disadvantages and areas of application.
Other Pumps (Non – Centrifugal)
– Positive displacement pumps.
– Gear wheel, reciprocating, screw, peristaltic, etc.
– Self priming feature.
– Test configuration.
– Packed glands.
– Hydrodynamic seals.
– Balanced and unbalanced designs.
Coupling & Alignment
– Coupling types and applications.
– Torque and power characteristics.
– Starting methods.
– Features of good maintenance.
– Troubleshooting techniques.
– Computerized maintenance benefits.
– Failure investigations.
– Root cause analysis.
Exercises & course review.